“16 I am not ashamed of the Good News, because it is the power God uses to save everyone who believes—to save the Jews first, and then to save non-Jews. 17 The Good News shows how God makes people right with himself—that it begins and ends with faith. As the Scripture says, ‘But those who are right with God will live by faith.'” -Romans 1:16-17 (NCV)
Who is Jesus?
- God: God is the Creator and Ruler of the universe. He has eternally existed one God in three personalities: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. These three are co-equal and are one God.
- Man: We are made in the spiritual image of God, to be like Him in character. We are the supreme object of God’s creation. Although we have tremendous potential for good, we’ve been marred by an attitude of disobedience toward God called “sin.” This attitude separates man from God.
- Eternity: Man was created to exist forever. We will either exist eternally separated from God by sin, or in union with God, through forgiveness and salvation. To be eternally separated from God is Hell. To be eternally in union with Him is eternal life. Heaven and Hell are places of eternal existence.
- Jesus Christ: Jesus is the only Son of God. He is co-equal with the Father. Jesus was born to a virgin and lived a sinless human life, offering Himself as the perfect sacrifice for the sins of all men by dying on a cross. He arose from the dead after three days to demonstrate His power over sin and death. He ascended to Heaven’s glory and will return again to earth to reign as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
- Salvation: Salvation is a gift from God to man. Man can never make up for his sin through self-improvement or good works. Only by trusting in Jesus Christ as God’s offer of forgiveness can we be saved from sin’s penalty. Eternal life begins the moment you receive Jesus Christ into your life by faith. Because God gives man eternal life through Jesus Christ, the believer is secure in that salvation for eternity. Salvation is maintained by the grace and power of God, not by the self-effort of the Christian. It is the grace and keeping power of God that gives this security.
- The Holy Spirit: The Holy Spirit is equal with the Father and the Son as God. He is present in the world to make men aware of their need for Jesus Christ. He also lives within every Christian from the moment of salvation. He provides the Christian with power for living, understanding of spiritual truth, and guidance in knowing what is right. The Christian seeks to live under His influence daily.
- The Bible: The Bible is God’s Word to all men. It was written by human authors under the supernatural guidance of the Holy Spirit. It is the supreme source of truth for Christian beliefs and living. Because it is inspired by God, it is truth without any mixture of error.